Training & Events
If you have any questions, please contact the RICADV office at 401-467-9940.
The Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence (RICADV) is proud to offer a biannual training calendar with workshops and trainings covering a wide variety of topics related to domestic violence awareness and prevention.
Our advocacy training sessions focus on supporting advocates in their work by exploring best practices, expanding and deepening advocates’ knowledge and building skills for work in the field. Through our community workshops, we share information for any individual interested in learning more about domestic violence or related issues and topics.
In an effort to go paperless, we phased out our training calendar brochures and postcards.
Please click here to read our COVID-19 Policy before attending any meetings, trainings or events at the RICADV.
- Fees must be paid prior to training sessions.
- There is no registration fee for staff or volunteers from SOAR, RICADV affiliate members, and RICADV full member agencies. However, member agencies will be charged the cost of registration if cancellation notice is not received within 24 hours of the training.
- If you are not a staff member or volunteer with one of these agencies, please proceed to the secure online payment site after completing your registration form in order to submit your training fee.
- The RICADV has a no refund policy for cancellations.
- Registration may be transferred to another individual or to another training on the RICADV Training Calendar.
- RICADV full member agencies and affiliate members will be charged the cost of registration if cancellation notice is not received within 24 hours of the training.
CEUs will be provided for certain trainings, as indicated on the current training calendar. For more information, please contact Sara Eckhoff, director of community engagement, at 401-467-9940 or email@example.com.
- Interpreters are available upon request.
- Please notify the RICADV at least three weeks prior to the training session.
The RICADV encourages people who attend our trainings to refrain from wearing fragrances, as some folks have severe fragrance intolerances that can interfere with their well-being. Thank you for participating in our fragrance-free practice.
Types of Training
The RICADV’s Training Calendar is intended to provide information, strengthen skills, and share best practices to support direct service advocates, social workers, educators, health care professionals, and others in effectively addressing and preventing domestic violence.
Within each Training Calendar, we strive to offer topics in the following categories:
- Basic – topics that advocates should know about as they start working with survivors of domestic violence. Basic trainings include Domestic Violence 101, In Her Shoes, and History of the Domestic Violence Movement.
- Advanced – topics that explore best practices and provide data-driven knowledge on issues related to domestic violence. Advanced trainings we’ve offered in the past include Exploring Safety: The Role of the Advocate and Serving Immigrants and Refugees: A Cultural Competency Workshop.
- Professional Development – skill-building opportunities to improve advocates’ competence and effectiveness in areas such as facilitation and supervision.
Local training is provided by request through our member agencies for schools, workplaces, health care settings, and any group or organization looking to learn more about domestic violence, dating violence, and related issues. For more information and to coordinate a training or presentation, please contact the RICADV office at 401-467-9940, or contact your local member agency directly. Some fees may apply.
National Training and Technical Assistance
The RICADV also provides training and technical assistance nationally to other state coalitions, programs, and organizations by request when possible.